Monday, April 22, 2013

SPRING BREAK! Part 1(c): Liverpool, England

Ok sorry again for the long delay...I was out of the country visiting some family friends (which I will talk about in a later post). But I'm back and don't have a lot to do in the next couple of days so I will be updating everything.

Anyway, this post is about the last segment of our first part of break: Liverpool, England. I had been dying to go to Liverpool and it was a must see stop for me while I was over here. This is mainly because I have an amazing taste in music (if I do say so myself) and am in love with The Beatles. As most of you are probably aware, Liverpool is where The Beatles got their start, being the city where George, John, and Paul grew up and met each other. So obviously there are a lot of Beatles related landmarks to see whilst visiting the city. Unfortunately Becca and I did not have a whole lot of time in the city to see everything I wanted but that just means I'll have to go back one day.

We arrived in Liverpool at 9 in the morning. We were going to be taking a bus out of Liverpool back to Glasgow that afternoon so we managed to find a bus that took us close to the bus station we needed. Once at the bus station we asked where we could store our luggage so we wouldn't have to lug it around all day, the closest one was at the train station around the corner so we made our way over there and put our luggage away. Then we attempted to find a map of the city that was at all helpful, and were not very successful. I had written down the addresses for the main places I wanted to see, Mendips, Paul's house, George's house, Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, The Cavern Club, and Casbah Coffee House. Unfortunately we were on the opposite side of the city than a lot of these places and did not have a whole lot of time to try to find a good map and find them. We decided to walk towards the dock because I had discovered that there was a museum there dedicated to The Beatles and the lives of their members. We were not entirely sure if it would actually be open since it was Easter Sunday but we thought that they might have information about some other stuff to see that related to the band.

The airport is named after John, I mean how cool is that?
You can rent these boats and stay in them!!!!
We managed to find our way to Albert Dock where The Beatles Story is located. The museum ended up being open and the price was very reasonable and since we were very unsure about what our success would be at finding the other locations we decided to go in. This was a great idea. They had so much information about the beginnings of the band as well as each of the members (including the 2 that started off with the band but left before the big time). There were also a lot of cool set ups, like the inside of the clubs in Hamburg, The Cavern Club, and a yellow submarine. Becca and I spent a good amount of time reading everything and looking at all the artifacts that related to the men I admire so much. We grabbed some food from the Starbucks in the museum and then ended up in the shop where I had to really control myself from excessive spending. There was just so much that I wanted. I managed to keep it reasonable and then we headed over to the building where The Beatles Story has their special exhibits. In this case it was one relating The Beatles to Elvis and another of never before seen pictures of the boys.

It really was...
My favorite George's first guitar
Cavern Club set up
the steps have the names of their songs
We spent another good amount of time wandering through these exclaiming how adorable they all were. After this it was already about time for us to head back for the bus station since our bus left at 3 from Liverpool. Even though I didn't have a whole lot of time in Liverpool to see all the things I wanted too it was still a really great day. The Beatles Story was well worth it and Liverpool was just a really amazing city, partly because the weather was beautiful and the complete opposite of what we had had in Ireland. Now I'll just have to go back with my family, all fellow Beatles enthusiasts, and spend more time wandering around the city that my favorite men called home.

No comments:

Post a Comment